Thursday 13 August 2009

Happy Mini Birthday

I haven't blogged here for ages for various reasons which I won't go into here but I am going to try to make an effort to do more.

I have recently achieved one of my ambitions. I have been saving hard and scraped enough money together to buy.... a Mini Cooper! I have always loved Minis and what they represent. A true icon of Great Britain, no other car has enjoyed such worldwide popularity and longevity. First built in 1959 (although considered an icon of the 1960s) - this year is the Mini's 50th birthday and this innovative, ingenious and distinctive design is instantly recognisable everywhere and anywhere. 5,387,862 Classic Minis have been built and a large proportion of these still survive despite the poor rust resistance (sadly true) of the bodywork.
Production of the "classic" mini ceased in 2000 when BMW, who had bought the ailing Rover Company, brought out the revamped, larger new Mini.

0 comments: